In the early 1900’s, William Lugg was a prominent businessman in Longmont. He was known to many as an Alderman and Chief of the Police, Fire, and License committees. He was also a local grocer and operated a business out of 380 Main Street, dating back to 1910.
Mr. Lugg and his wife and two children lived at 514 Kimbark Street and he retained ownership of this building during that time. This art deco building was erected over what was previously a wood and coal storage/sales yard, at the corner of 6th Avenue and Main Street in downtown Longmont. Initially, the building was used as a garage and repair shop and was known as the Ford Garage, In 1921, the Lugg Building was renamed Power Motor Company by E.W. Power and M.M. Mahaski. In November 1921, C.L. Cleland and R.L. Worbeck purchased the business and it became the Cleland Motor Company. The Cleland Motor Company moved out of the Lugg building in 1928. In the late 1920’s, Mrs. Ollie R. Boggs leased the building & opened a “high class, up-to-date roller skating rink” named Fairyland.
In 1930, Mr. Lugg opened a Standard Super Service Station (S.S.S.S.) in this location, that he operated himself. The building was remodeled to incorporate the latest convenience in the service station business, drive up pumps. In 1935, the building was purchased by Walter Rankin and Richard C. Troxell to operate as a filling/repair station and a Chevrolet dealership. Once again, the building was remodeled to include offices, a parts department and a showroom. In 1941, Mr. Troxell bought out Mr. Rankin’s interests in the company. in 1951, Mr. Troxell sold the dealership to Mr. Willis and Mr. Hajek, but retained ownership of the building. In 1958, Mr. Troxell became the Mayor of Longmont. Hajek and Willis moved out of the building in 1964 to open a new facility. Firestone, Inc. owned the building in 1966 and operated a repair station and tire sales office until 1991.
In 1995, the four original partners in the Pumphouse purchased the building with plans to build a restaurant and brewery. The Pumphouse opened in May 1996 as a single-unit, independently-owned brewpub. The building had to undergo major changes to allow for a functional brewery and restaurant, but much of the original architecture was left intact to preserve the historical landmark status of the building. The Red Zone sports bar opened in October 2004 as an expansion to the successful Pumphouse business. This addition more than doubled the size of the restaurant.
The Pumphouse and Red Zone
540 Main Street
Longmont, CO 80501