Longmont's roots are in agriculture, and the Empson Cannery is a monument to its success as a leading manufacturer of agricultural products. In 1887 John H. Empson move to Longmont and opened his first cannery. After the original structures was destroyed by a fire, he rebuilt and expanded in the 1890s while investing in farms to grow produce for canning. At the time of the cannery's sale in 1920, it was thought to be the largest pea cannery in the world! Today, the cannery is no longer active, but the building still stands and has been converted into apartments.